Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Making of Nature: Part 3, CAD/Molds


We carried two concepts into CAD, Nature and Nurture. One took inspiration from organic forms such as flowers and cones. The latter took inspiration from architectural forms such as balconies and skyscapers. Each concept was created full scale in Rhinoceros, a 3d computer program. Careful attention was given to make each opening the correct size. I wanted the openings to be large enough for planting and digging.




Next, I wanted to understand how to mold these pieces. To help with that, I made computer generated molds. The molds I created were each five pieces. The final physical mold ended up being six pieces, and weighed about 380 lbs.



Inner walls in slip casting are created as the liquefied clay is robbed of moisture by the plaster mold. I created inner walls to visualize how the surfaces would come together. These drawings helped communicate the designs to the model fabricators and potters. I used them extensively in the next step.

No comments: